It is not hard to understand how narcissist and those with traits of narcissistic personality disorder make their way into our lives. Often times they are the most interesting person in the crowd, exhibiting passion and confidence. We marry them, we accept jobs from them, we even admire them at first... but eventually we start to notice the true side of the narcissist. This seminar explored: (a) ways to understand the narcissist, (b) the impact of narcissists on our lives and (c) strategies for dealing with narcissist in therapy and life.
Psychologists, MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs
Matthew Bennett Psy.D.
Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Psychotherapist, Professor at Pacifica Graduate Institute.
DATE: October 18th, 2014, Saturday;
TIME: 2:00 pm am-5:00 pm
# of CE CREDITS: 3
1469 East Valley Road
Montecito, CA 93108
For wheelchair accessibility, please call us to confirm access.
ADDITIONAL COURSE DESCRIPTION:
This seminar explored theoretical, diagnostic, and treatment issues surrounding narcissistic personality organization and narcissistic personality disorder (NPD). The discussion examined the essential features of narcissism at several levels: archetypal, object relations, self psychology, and behavioral considerations. We compared and contrasted psychodynamic methodologies of assessing narcissistic character pathology with the DSM nosological approach, and reviewed practical considerations for approaching narcissistic personalities in psychotherapeutic and general interpersonal contexts.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES FOR CE:
- Participants were able to identify characteristic defensive styles and interpersonal behavior cues of narcissistic personalities.
- Participants were able to identify and critique popular and culture-based lay perspectives on narcissism which lead to misunderstanding and ineffective approaches to narcissism.
- Participants were able to develop strategies, which contribute to an effective therapeutic stance in psychotherapy with narcissistic personalities.
1:45 -2:00 pm REGISTRATION AND CHECK IN
2:00 - 2:15 pm ORIENTATION TO NARCISSISTIC DYNAMICS: DEFINITIONS AND LABELS
1. Differentiating narcissistic personality from NPD
- DSM nosology
- Imagery of narcissism
2:15 - 2:45 pm ARCHETYPAL / JUNGIAN APPROACHES
- Narcissus vs. The Sons of Belial
- Narcissism and the will to power
- Lilith as the delimiter of narcissism
2:45 - 3:30 pm PSYCHOANALYTIC APPROACHES
- Defensive style
- Object relations
3:30 - 3:45 pm BREAK (approximate time)
4:00 - 4:30 pm PSYCHODYNAMIC CONSIDERATIONS IN TREATING NARCISSISM
- Countertransference issues
- Dealing with devaluation
- Interventions and therapeutic stance
- Narcissism in interpersonal contexts
4:30 - 5:00 pm NARCISSISM IN CULTURAL CONTEXT
- Methodological challenges involving individualism
- Increasing rates in the west?
- Cultural reinforcement of narcissism
- Gender issues
SEMINAR CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT INFORMATION:
This course meets the qualifications for 3 hours of continuing education credit for MFTs, LPCCs, LEPs, and LCSWs (as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences) and psychologists (as required by the California Psychological Association).
The Aeolian Center is approved by the California Psychological Association (provider # AEO001) to provide continuing education seminars for professional education for psychologists, MFTs, LPCCs, LEPs, and LCSWs. Aeolian Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Read more ...
To complete the course, and receive 3 CE credits attendees must:
- Be present for the entire time of the course
- Sign in at the beginning and out at the end
- Complete a written evaluation of the course
- To receive CE credit full attendance is required - No partial credit.
Certificate of attendance will be provided at the end of each course to those who have registered and paid for credit and fulfilled the requirements listed above. A replacement transcript can be provided if one is lost for no additional fee.
The Aeolian Center has not received any commercial or monetary support for this event or speaker, content of instruction (e.g., research grants, funding research findings etc.) or any benefit for endorsement of products (e.g., books, training, etc.) that could be construed as a conflict of interest.
CANCELLATION/ REFUND POLICY:
Cancellation by Aeolian Center: The Aeolian Center reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule any event, for which registrants will receive a full refund or credit.
Cancellation by participant: If participant cancel the enrollment up to 48 hours prior to the event, he or she will receive a refund of the full fee minus a 25% service and administrative charge. No refunds for cancellations received after 48 hours prior to the event.
COPY OF LOST CERTIFICATE:
A replacement certificate can be provided after the event if one is lost for no additional fee (if sent by email). To receive a copy of your continuing education certificate, please submit online request here (button below) or contact us with any additional questions.