Local psychologist Dr Matthew Bennett is offering a free public presentation about how to select the right therapist that will best address your current needs. The seminar will educate the public about the range of counselors and psychotherapists available out there. This seminar will address the differences between "counselor," "psychologist," "psychiatrist," "therapist," "social workers," and "marriage family therapist" etc.
FREE PUBLIC EVENT
Matthew Bennett Psy.D.
Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Psychotherapist, Professor at Pacifica Graduate Institute.
DATE: July 28th, 2015, Tuesday;
TIME: 5:030 pm - 6:45 pm
1469 East Valley Road
Montecito, CA 93108
For wheelchair accessibility, please call us to confirm access.
Selection of a talk therapist is an important and highly personal decision. Some of these decisions have to come from your own "gut reactions," but it also pays to be educated about the different kinds of therapists available and how they work. This public presentation by local psychologist Dr. Matthew Bennett will review the different levels of licensure, training, and education typical of different kinds of therapists, as well as some of the different methodologies and philosophies that therapists follow. The presentation will address therapist selection at several levels:
1) Levels of care (private practice, public mental health, etc)
2) Licensure and professional discipline (psychologist, psychiatrist, License clinical social worker (LCSW), marriage family therapist (MFT), etc.
3) Philosophies of therapy (cognitive behavioral, psychodynamic, psychoanalytic, Jungian, family systems, etc)
4) Psychotherapy vs. counseling
5) Professional boundaries surrounding the therapy process (confidentiality)
Dr. Bennett will also include time for questions and discussion.