Psychotherapy with histrionic personalities often involves contending with powerful forces which can threaten to overwhelm the therapeutic frame. These sensitive, emotionally talented patients are exquisitely attachment oriented but may seem unable to tolerate the ruptures, misunderstandings, minor failures and disappointments, which inevitably come with any intimate relationship…including psychotherapeutic ones. This seminar explored ways of understanding and navigating the deep-seated fear of abandonment and its dark twin, fear of engulfment, from a broadly psychodynamic perspective. Due to theoretical considerations, the DSM borderline personality was also addressed in this seminar.
Psychologists, MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs
Matthew Bennett Psy.D.
Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Psychotherapist, Professor at Pacifica Graduate Institute.
DATE: November 8th, 2014, Saturday;
TIME: 2:00 pm am-5:00 pm
# of CE CREDITS: 3
1469 East Valley Road
Montecito, CA 93108
For wheelchair accessibility, please call us to confirm access.
ADDITIONAL COURSE DESCRIPTION:
This seminar explored theoretical, diagnostic, and treatment issues surrounding the histrionic personality organization, and both the histrionic and borderline personality disorder (HPD and BPD). The discussion examined the essential features of the histrionic personality organization at several levels: archetypal, object relations, self-psychology, and behavioral, cultural, and gender-based considerations. We compared and contrasted psychodynamic methodologies of assessing histrionic character pathology with the DSM nosological approach, and reviewed practical considerations for approaching histrionic personalities in psychotherapeutic and general interpersonal contexts.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES FOR CE:
- Participants were able to identify characteristic defensive styles and interpersonal behavior cues of histrionic personalities.
- Participants were able to identify and critique popular and culture-based lay perspectives on the histrionic personality organization which lead to misunderstanding and ineffective approaches to the presentation.
- Participants were able to develop strategies which contribute to an effective therapeutic stance in psychotherapy with histrionic personalities.
1:45 -2:00 pm REGISTRATION AND CHECK IN
2:00 - 2:25 pm ORIENTATION TO HISTRIONIC DYNAMICS:: definitions and labels
- Differentiating histrionic personality from histrionic personality disorder and borderline personality disorder
- DSM nosology
- Popular conceptualizations of histrionic and borderline dynamics
2:25 - 2:45 pm PSYCHOANALYTIC APPROACHES
- Object relations
2:45 - 3:30 pm ARCHETYPAL / JUNGIAN APPROACHES
- Lilith and Sophia as mythic examples
- The histrionic dynamic and the theme of Return and Reunion
3:30 - 3:15 pm BREAK (approximate time)
3:15 - 4:30 pm PSYCHODYNAMIC CONSIDERATIONS IN TREATING HISTRIONIC STYLES
1. Countertransference issues
2. Dealing with enactments and boundary crossing
3. Interventions and therapeutic stance
4.The histrionic personality in interpersonal contexts
4:30 - 4:55 pm THE HISTRIONIC PERSONALITY IN THE CONTEXT OF GENDER AND CULTURE
- Feminist critiques of the construct
- Disenfranchisement and the one-down position
- Male and female patterns of manifestation
4:55-5:00 SUMMARY, QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION
SEMINAR CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT INFORMATION:
This course meets the qualifications for 3 hours of continuing education credit for MFTs, LPCCs, LEPs, and LCSWs (as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences) and psychologists (as required by the California Psychological Association).
The Aeolian Center is approved by the California Psychological Association (provider # AEO001) to provide continuing education seminars for professional education for psychologists, MFTs, LPCCs, LEPs, and LCSWs. Aeolian Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Read more ...
To complete the course, and receive 3 CE credits attendees must:
- Be present for the entire time of the course
- Sign in at the beginning and out at the end
- Complete a written evaluation of the course
- To receive CE credit full attendance is required - No partial credit.
Certificate of attendance will be provided at the end of each course to those who have registered and paid for credit and fulfilled the requirements listed above. A replacement transcript can be provided if one is lost for no additional fee.
The Aeolian Center has not received any commercial or monetary support for this event or speaker, content of instruction (e.g., research grants, funding research findings etc.) or any benefit for endorsement of products (e.g., books, training, etc.) that could be construed as a conflict of interest.
CANCELLATION/ REFUND POLICY:
Cancellation by Aeolian Center: The Aeolian Center reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule any event, for which registrants will receive a full refund or credit.
Cancellation by participant: If participant cancel the enrollment up to 48 hours prior to the event, he or she will receive a refund of the full fee minus a 25% service and administrative charge. No refunds for cancellations received after 48 hours prior to the event.
COPY OF LOST CERTIFICATE:
A replacement certificate can be provided after the event if one is lost for no additional fee (if sent by email). To receive a copy of your continuing education certificate, please submit online request here (button below) or contact us with any additional questions.